I remember the first time I tasted rhubarb more than a decade ago, in one of our friends’ house who used to live in Vaasa. It was so good and exotic taste for me. I was so thrilled by this plant too. It looks like the huge version of the taro but different. So this post is about a quick rhubarb recipe I prepared same time in just half an hour.
When we bought this house having own rhubarb in the garden. I haven’t really cooked anything out of it immediately. Whenever we visit my mother in law before during summer, we are bringing her rhubarb from our garden. I love her strawberry rhubarb kissel which she prepares for us. I was so scared of making a mistake cooking the rhubarb so I never got the courage to cook it. Until about 3 years ago, I realized we have always so much and why not try. I like how quick rhubarb recipe can be done in just 30 minutes time.
Through the years I had been making quick rhubarb recipe such as kissel, juice, pie and baked oatmeal. Checking in the backyard, noticed that rhubarb is growing so big again today. So I decided to do something with rhubarb for the first time this year. I started picking up the stalk and separate the leaves. Note! I heard that leaves are poisonous so never consume those. So what’s the menu? I want to make baked oatmeal and juice. I also use frozen raspberry from last years harvest from the backyard. So then rhubarb and raspberry baked oatmeal. Below are the recipes
Rhubarb Raspberry Baked Oatmeal
- 500g rhubarb stalk
- 3 dl frozen raspberry
- 200g butter
- 1dl brown sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp potato flour (optional)
- 1 dl white sugar
- 4 dl oatmeal
- 1. Wash the stalk and optional you can peel the rhubarb. I do peel it because I want it as soft as possible.
- 2. Cut rhubarb stalk into small pieces.
- 3. Put on the oven 200 degrees C
- 4. In a frying pan, mix the rhubarb and the white sugar. Let the sugar melt.
- 5. Add the frozen raspberry
- 6. Put the raspberry & rhubarb mix to the oven tray, remove extra liquid
- 7. Add potato flour optional and finally cinnamon
- 8. Separately Melt the butter
- 9. combine brown sugar and oatmeal
- 10. Add the oatmeal, butter, sugar mix on top of the raspberry&rhubarb
- 11. Bake for 30 min
- 12. Serve with ice cream We used vanilla ice cream and also the vanilla sauce.
For the rhubarb juice here is the recipe. I am doing this juice at the same time while I’m preparing the previous menu.
- 5 medium rhubarb stalk
- 4 dl sugar
- 3 L water
- 1. Wash the stalk
- 2. Cut into pieces and don’t peel!
- 3. Combine all the ingredients
- 4. Boil for 30 min
- 5. Separate the juice from the stalk using strainer
- 6. Let it cool and enjoy
A simple note, do not peel the rhubarb stalk if you don’t want your juice to be colourless. I have done that mistake when I made it for the very first time and I realized only the reason why when I saw the final result.
There are a lot more to try about the rhubarb. Will you believe I use this too for the famous Filipino sour soup dish called sinigang?